September 2018 Goals
Happy September! As much as I love the new beginning of January 1, I’ve always loved September more. Gretchen Rubin says that “September is other January” and I wholeheartedly agree. Growing up, I loved going back to school and that fresh start. (Yeah, I’m a nerd. This is nothing new.) Even in my mid-thirties, there’s something about new school supplies that still brings me joy. Plus, it’s my birthday month and starting a new year of life feels like a cleaner slate that a new year. I feel a bit more renewed this month than I have in awhile. It’s a breath of fresh air to feel some motivation again. It ebbs and flows, to be sure, but it’s flowing with a bit more consistency these days.
So, with that, let’s talk about goals! I wasn’t quite as successful with the written goals for August as I’d like, but I made a lot of progress in my life in other areas that I’ll share in the coming days.
August 2018 Recap
- Run a 5k without walking. Nope. Other than the treadmill portions of my OrangeTheory classes, I don’t think I laced up my running shoes once.
- Attend 8 Orangetheory Fitness classes. I made it to five classes, so not good, but not great.
- Attend 4 yoga classes. I got to my mat once.
- Finish 6 books, two from the “currently reading” pile. I finished four, one of which was from my “currently reading” pile. I made some progress in a few others in that stack, and somewhat defeating the purpose, started a couple others.
- Finish my “about” page. I’ve got a draft started, but haven’t finished.
- Attempt the NASM Fitness Nutrition Specialization exam. No. I logged in a couple times, but never felt ready enough to use one of my three attempts.
- Complete my CPR/AED/First Aid training. Technically, I finished this on the first of this month, but I’m counting it as a win.
September 2018 Goals
- Exercise 20 days. I was originally going to aim for at least thirty minutes every day, but I want to set myself up for success this month and I don’t see it happening with that goal. This month, rather than breaking it down into specifics like a certain number of days at Orangetheory or yoga, I just want to move my body.
- Finish 6 books. I’m finally starting to get back into some old habits and routines, one of which is reading daily. Since I do have several books I’m at least halfway through, this feels very doable.
- Pass my NASM Fitness Nutrition Specialization exam. I do have until early/mid October to pass the exam, but would like to accomplish it this month and not put it off to the last minute.
- Write more than a couple blog posts. I love having this space, but for quite some time now, I felt like I lost my voice. Working through my grief after my grandma’s passing took over my life more than I could admit. With that, I thought I didn’t have much, if anything, to share. I’d sit down to write and stare at a blank post, watching the cursor taunt me. So, I’d write a post or two a month, and that was it. I’m starting to really, truly feel myself come alive again and with that, I want to write. I don’t know how that will look, but I’m excited to be back with more consistency.
- Stick to my budget, especially related to food. Thanks to some fun events, like an overnight trip to Chicago and a Cubs game, I really overspent in August. Throw in an unexpected car repair that cost me almost $800 – the joys of adulting, am I right? – and my bank account is a bit lower than I like right now. Food is consistently the area where I tend to see my budget as more of a suggestion and I know I need to reign it in. My dear friend Katie and I have become accountability partners and we’re doing a cash based spending experiment this month!
So, all in all, I’m really excited for this month. For this new season of life, this new beginning. As it’s happened a lot in the last year and a half, I don’t quite know how long today’s motivation will last. But, increasingly, it’s sticking around longer and coming with more consistency. Maybe, just maybe, I’m finally coming back to myself.
What is something you accomplished in August? What’s a goal for September?